Welcome to the first VR Geeks newsletter !
The VR Geeks is a non-for-profit association of Virtual Reality enthusiasts (professionals and amateurs), whose goal is just to have fun with VR.
A consequence is that we’re looking for cheap ways to do VR.
The VR Geeks association is part the French VR association AFRV.
A lot has happened since one year, so here’s a review !
The association has been created in February 2011, and the board was elected :
- David Rauline : Secretary
- Geoffrey Subileau : Treasury
- Sébastien Kuntz : President
The association now has more than 60 members and 4 honorary members :
- Jaron Lanier: VR Pioneer, “found(er) VPL Research, Inc., the first company to sell VR goggles and gloves” (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaron_Lanier )
- Carolina Cruz-Neira: VR Pioneer, co-creator of the first CAVE
- Christophe Chartier, CEO Immersion SAS
- Didier Bouchon, video game pioneer
The mailing-list now has 145 members.
You can also follow us on our Facebook page.
Our main activity during this year has been to meet-up regularly (in bars and in Le Cube, digital technology center) and share knowledge.
We have visited the VR center of the Mines-ParisTech robotic center :
We created two Do-It-Yourself VR kits and a set of specifications to try to be able to share our applications with different hardware.
One kit is based on a HMD and costs 500€ :
The other kit is based on a 3D projector and costs 1000€ :
We have created two games :
- VR Escape : a dark “escape-room”. The game was created in 48h during the Global Game Jam
- VR Sadistic : An original game by game designer Tahir Vico (and us), where the goal is to escape from a giant cube-shaped puzzle :
We have been invited to Laval Virtual, the main VR tradeshow in Europe.
We had a booth and also presented a poster at the VRIC conference. Here’s a full review.
We were also invited to the Past Games’ Rebirth retro-gaming event :
Then we were invited to Intel’s Geek So In event :
And finally we gave a presentation at the Web3D conference during the Art Show organized by La Bibliothèque Francophone des Metaverses :
We got quite a good media coverage :
We have lots of plans for this year: visit more VR centers, create more applications, train our members on VR tools, take part in events … This is going to be an exciting year !
We’re looking for hardware to be able to create more applications, so if you have spare hardware that you don’t use anymore, or if you’re a company and you’re willing to sponsor us, let us know !
You can freely join the mailing-list.
You can support us by becoming a member. Membership costs 10€. You will receive an official “VR Geek” badge. Simply send us an email stating that you want to become a member and we will send the full instructions to you!